26.05.2021HR Director and Corporate Governance: Current Challenges and Career Opportunities
What should an HR Director strive for? Everyone who has reached the HRD position and has already worked in several companies is faced with a dilemma: what’s next? One possible path is a path to the company’s Board of directors.
The dilemma issues were discussed by the speakers of the online conference, which took place on May 25, 2021. The speakers were:
- Anna Vlasova, founder, and director of the HRM School, member of the Supervisory Board of Nova Poshta
- Oleksandr Okuniev, Chairman of the CGPA Management Board
- Yulia Pilipenko, HR Director of Raiffeisen Bank Aval
- Renata Delporte, Senior Vice President and Global HR Business Partner at SoftServe
- Margarita Korotkova, Director of Human Resources and Social Policy, Naftogaz Group
In particular, the following issues were discussed:
- The role of HR Director in companies: a) the Supervisory Board is created and works successfully; b) the company is at the stage of establishing the Board; c) there is no board, and its creation is not planned. Why may the Board need a director with skills and experience in the field of HR management? What contribution can (should) he make? What should he NOT do?
- What are the career prospects for HR directors in Ukrainian companies? Do HR directors have such a vector of development as joining the Supervisory (Advisory) Board of their own or another (non-competing) company? Are such examples known in Ukraine and abroad?
- What is the role of the HR Director in the succession planning of management and the Board of Directors? Search and verification of candidates for the Board, negotiations, contracts, etc.? Or something else?
- Do companies provide corporate governance training to their employees? If so, which categories (top managers, lawyers, corporate secretaries, compliance specialists, other categories)? Is the HR Director involved in developing board members, CEOs, and other company top managers, and how does it happen? Do board members decide these issues on their own?
The speakers noted the mandatory need for members of the Board and top management to constantly improve their knowledge and skills, mainly by studying at the professional development program for members of the boards of directors “Corporate Director”.
Video from the conference